The DC Department of Human Resources offers a complete online course catalog and a summary of training programs. View the 2015 Course Catalog.
Certified Public Manager® Program
The Certified Public Manager® (CPM) Program is designed to enhance the skills of the District government’s managers and provide them with the tools to be more effective leaders. The District of Columbia Department of Human Resources administers the nationally accredited CPM program. Academic rigor is brought to the program through strategic partnerships with The George Washington University, as well as renowned government, nonprofit and private-sector practitioners who bring the best of leadership and management theory and practice to the classroom.
The Certified Public Manager® Program consists of approximately 300 hours of graduate-level instruction beginning with the Basic Leadership Course (BLC) focusing on team building and leadership to provide a solid foundation for subsequent coursework. District managers enrolled in the CPM program will also earn a Green Belt certification in Six Sigma, a methodology which is an integrated, disciplined, proven approach for improving business performance. District managers will also participate in performance improvement project teams in which they will apply the project management and Six Sigma process improvement methodologies they have learned in class to real improvement opportunities that agency directors and others identified.
Tour of Duty: October 1, 2015-September 30, 2016 (Sessions are held once a month on Thursday, Friday and Saturday for 12 months) 9 am-5 pm Thursday and Friday; 9 am-Noon Saturday.
Salary Range: This announcement is for program enrollment only. No compensation will be given as a CPM participant.
To be eligible to participate in the Certified Public Manager® Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently hold a supervisory, managerial or staff District government position at the grade CS-12 (new) or equivalent, MSS 11 and above supervisors and managers; [e.g. Excepted service–grade 7 and above; Legal–LX Legal Service Managers; MPD–Non-union Lieutenant and higher; FEMS–Non-union Battalion Chief and higher]. For FY16, CS-12 employees also eligible to apply.
- Have a bachelor's degree (strongly preferred) and/or have comparable work experience.
- Have the endorsement of their agency head to participate in the program.
- Have completed the initial probationary period of DC government service.
- Not be serving in a contractual or term position.
- Must sign a Continuance in Service Agreement.
Online Application Process will begin May 4, 2015 - June 17, 2015
- A completed online Application form.
- Complete essays in a Word document - spell check is not available in the online application
- Cut and paste essays from the Word document into the online application
- Resume (attach these documents in the online application)
- Confidential Supervisory Evaluation form will be provided to the Supervisor completed by the Agency Head (the evaluation must be forwarded by the supervisor via online or in a sealed envelope to: DC Department of Human Resources Center for Learning and Development, 441 4th Street, NW, Suite 330 South, Washington, DC 20001)
Online Application Process will open from May 4, 2015 - June 17, 2015.
For additional information about the Certified Public Manager® Program, contact the DCHR Center for Learning and Development at (202) 442-9700 Option #2 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Certified Public Manager® Program
Center for Learning and Development
DC Department of Human Resources
441 4th Street, NW, Suite 330 South
Washington, DC 20001