Learning and Development Program
The MSS Suite is an education series to continuously develop and grow managers and supervisors in the DC Government. The program is designed to provide managers with the critical knowledge and skills to effectively support, guide, and lead people, as well as execute the various programs in accordance with District policy, regulations, and industry best practices.
The MSS Suite has three categories:
- Core Management Learning
- Annual Learning Program (as determined by the Mayor or DCHR)
Building a Coaching Culture FY 2017 (Online via Skillport)
- Continuous Professional Development (electives)
If you started taking courses under the prior MSS program you may be able to receive transfer credit for core courses or electives.
In addition, learning and development courses completed outside of this program may be acceptable substitutions for the Continuous Professional Development category only, upon DCHR Center for Learning & Development (CLD) review and evaluation.
1. Core Management Learning
The Core Management Learning consists of five (5) required courses that must be completed within two years of the appointment to an MSS position. MSS employees are strongly encouraged to complete the three (3) courses denoted with an asterisk within the first year of their MSS appointment. In addition, MSS employees must complete any District-mandated training.
- Introduction to Management (course 918) or Principles of Management* (course 919)
- Performance Management (MSS)* (course 905)
- Progressive Discipline* (course 602)
- Building High Performing Teams (course 917)
- Leadership Essentials (course 902)
- Reasonable Suspicion (course 909 or 909W)/Employee Engagement (Online via Skillport)
- Sexual Harassment (course 507)
- LGBT Cultural Competency (course 517 or 004W)
*DCHR recommends completing the first three courses in the Core Management category in the first year of the program.
*To register for training, go to PeopleSoft Self Service (https://ess.dc.gov) then click on > Self Service > Learning and Development > Request Training Enrollment, where you can search by course name, by training date, or by audience (MSS).
2. Annual Learning Program (as determined by the Mayor or DCHR)
The Annual Learning Program mandated by the Mayor or DCHR is designed to provide managers and supervisors with the knowledge and skills to manage government-wide priorities and initiatives. These courses will provide key strategies for handling compliance-related matters and assessing and managing employee engagement.
For FY2017, the following Annual Learning courses have been mandated for MSS employees:
Building a Coaching Culture (Online Via Skillport)
- Part 1: Coaching Techniques that Drive Change
- Part 2: Making Feedback a Regular Occurrence
- Part 3: Coaching to Shift Perceptions (Simulation)
- Part 4: Giving Appropriate Feedback (Simulation)
The courses and simulations are designed to provide an increased awareness as to the importance and impact of consistent coaching; laying the groundwork for a more comprehensive coaching approach and model to be piloted in late FY2017.
The total course time is 1.5 hours. The deadline for completing the FY2017 district-mandated courses has been extended to December 30, 2017.
3. Continuous Professional Development (Electives)
After completing the Core Management Learning eight (8) courses) within the first two years, MSS employees are required to complete two electives under the Continuous Professional Development category each fiscal year, as well as any District-mandated courses. The electives are outlined under the Continuous Professional Development category.
- Comp & Class Online Training (course 007W)
- Mid-Year Discussion and PIP (course 915)
- Giving and Receiving Feedback (course 520)
- Critical Thinking for Supervisors (course 900)
- Multigenerational Workplace (course 913)
- PeopleSoft Reports/Query (course 609)
- Powerful Communication (course 502)
- Project Management (course 908)
- Quality Customer Service (course 302)
- Setting Boundaries (course 408)
- Managing Change and Transitions (Online via SkillPort)
Online Courses via SkillPort:
Courses are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To access SkillPort, go to http://dchr.skillport.com.
Year 1 - Year 2 Complete Core Management Learning (8 Courses) Plus District Mandated Course
Year 3 - and beyond... Complete Two (2) Electives and District Mandated Course Each Fiscal Year
For more information, contact the DCHR Center for Learning and Development at 202-442-9700 or by email at [email protected].