The DLP is an internship program designed to provide tomorrow’s leaders with the knowledge, tools, skills, and experiences that can be readily applied to their future challenges and pursuits, whether personal or professional.
The program takes a holistic approach to developing Interns by providing a wide range of stimulating and developmental activities including:
- Substantive assignments in an unlimited array of functional areas related to government operations (i.e., Human Capital Management, Finance and Budgeting, Information Technology, Legal, Contracting and Procurement, Small and Local Business and Economic Development, Legislative Affairs, Health and Human Services, Education, and Performance Management);
- A customized Individual Development Planning Learning Lab and Tool Suite;
- Classroom lectures and coursework on topics centered around core business services as well as other specialty topics;
- Web-based training and development courses;
- A series of Profiles in Leadership brown bag seminars and presentations;
- 360⁰ performance feedback for each intern; and
- Guest lecturers focusing on topics such as Customer Service, Priorities for the District of Columbia, and Leadership Development.
Program will operate from June 4th to August 24th. All applicants must be available as of May 16th.
It is a full time experience
- Monday thru Friday
- 40 hours per week
- Undergraduate (junior or senior year) and graduate students;
- Currently enrolled, and
- Good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5 at a U.S college or university
- Students must be eligible to work in the United States
- Applicants will be evaluated by the following;
- Three essay questions (all written materials must be attached to the application),
- Human Resources panel interview, and
- Interview with host agencies
- Preference will be given to applicants who are residents of the District of Columbia and graduates of a DCPS/DC Pubic Charter High School.
- The following documents must be attached to the application. If not, the application will be incomplete.
- Letter of recommendation from school official (verify enrollment, status in school, and support transcript)
- Unofficial transcript dated within the past two months
- If claiming residency preference, the following documents must also be attached;
- Government ID (driver’s license, voter registration card, etc),
- Lease, mortgage, or letter from landlord, and
- Utility bill (including phone bill) to verify address
- If claiming graduate from DCPS/DC Public Charter High School;
- Copy of diploma, or
- Letter from principal or guidance counselor
Each essay must be between 250 to 400 words. Use word counter in Microsoft Office word. All three essays should be saved in one document.
Your essays must demonstrate the following:
- Logic, thought process, and ability to analyze
- Grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Organizations and clarity of argument or thought
1. Describe a personal achievement that has had a significant impact on your life.
2. The District of Columbia government is a huge employer of 36 thousand employees and extremely diverse. The District Leadership Program has always attracted a very diverse pool of applicants. If accepted, how will your experiences contribute to this?
3. There are 75 plus agencies and or offices in the District of Columbia government. Name your top three preferred agencies and describe why you want to serve as an intern for each one this summer?
Deadline to submit application is April 27, 2018 before midnight.
For more information on the DLP, please contact DCHR at (202) 442-9700, option 2.