The District of Columbia Department of Human Resources (DCHR) has partnered with the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) to create the High School Leadership Institute, a year-round internship program for high school students. The program provides highly-focused juniors and seniors with internship opportunities in District of Columbia government agencies. The program also provides mentors, leadership training, and other workshops to support and enhance the student experience. We have also entered into a collaboration with Department of Employment and Services to enhance the experience. Students will be selected primarily from the DC Career Academies and linked to internship opportunities in their fields of study.
The purpose of the program is to link District students with meaningful work experiences that will build on their current classroom instruction while also providing them with an opportunity to interact with a host of professionals who will support their growth and development. The second purpose of the program is to showcase career opportunities in the District government and build a pipeline of talented District students who will consider the District of Columbia government as an employer of choice while in college and after they graduate and/or earn certifications.
- Preference given to DC Career Academies, but all eligible students are encouraged to apply
- Eligible program participants must:
- Be currently enrolled High School Juniors or Seniors currently enrolled in District of Columbia public or public charter schools;
- Be 16-18 years old;
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above;
- Have a strong attendance record; and
- Commitment to program time requirements.
- Program Pilot will run from October 2019 - May 2020
- Participants will work 9 to 12 hours a week, and will receive mentoring bi-weekly from District professionals
Application: Apply Now
Deadline for application is Friday, June 28th at midnight.