Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. It is different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. Excepted Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave.
Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
Current Appointed Positions Available
- Administrative Law Judge - Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH)
- Chief Executive Officer - St. Elizabeth Hospital
- Director of Agency Operations, Office of the City Administrator
- Director, Department of Disability Services (DDS)
- Executive Director - Mayor's Office of Religious Affairs (MORA)
- Information Technology Specialist (Systems Administration) Criminal Justice Coordinating Council (CJCC)
- Medical Director - FEMS
- Research Analyst (Sentencing and Criminal Code Revision Commission)
- Special Assistant to the City Administrator