Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. It is different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. Excepted Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave.
Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions
Excepted Service/Specialty Positions
- Associate Director - Mayor's Office of Legal Counsel (MOLC)
- Communications and Initiatives Specialist
- Community Outreach Specialist, Mayor’s Office on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs (MOAPIA)
- Program Coordinator (Bilingual)
- Program Coordinator, Mayor’s Office on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs (MOAPIA)
- Public Information Officer, Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice
- Rent Administrator - Department of Housing and Community Development