The District of Columbia Government’s Department of Human Resources (DCHR) is once again proud to announce its District Leadership Program (DLP). The DLP is an internship program designed to provide tomorrow’s leaders with the knowledge, tools, skills, and experiences that can be readily applied to their future challenges and pursuits, whether personal or professional. The DLP internship has two cycles: Summer 12 weeks (June - August) and Year Round (October - May).
Our program takes a holistic approach to developing Interns by providing a wide range of stimulating and developmental activities including:
- Substantive assignments in an unlimited array of functional areas related to government operations (i.e., Human Capital Management, Finance and Budgeting, Information Technology, Legal, Contracting and Procurement, Small and Local Business and Economic Development, Legislative Affairs, Health and Human Services, Education, and Performance Management)
- A customized Individual Development Planning Learning Lab and Tool Suite
- Classroom lectures and coursework on topics centered around core business services as well as other specialty topics
- Web-based training and development courses
- A series of Profiles in Leadership brown bag luncheons
- 360⁰ performance feedback for each intern
- Guest lecturers focusing on topics such as Customer Service, Priorities for the District of Columbia, and Leadership Development
- Undergraduate (Junior or Senior year) and graduate students currently enrolled, who are in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5 at a U.S. college or university. This must be supported by a transcript and an official letter from school administration.
- Students must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Applicants will be evaluated by the following documents which must be attached to the application; three essay questions, answer to a reflective question, and a panel interview.
Preference will be given to applicants who are;
- Residents of the District of Columbia, and
- Graduates of a District of Columbia High School.
These are the key elements of the Year Round FY17 Program
- The program will function from October 17th to May 26th. Applicants must be available as of October 4th.
- It is a three full days (8-hour day) per week commitment with no exception. If you are not able to make this commitment, please do not apply.
District Leadership Program Year Round FY17 Application Timeline
- August 17, 2016 - Application goes live on website
- September 16, 2016 - Deadline for Application
- September 19 - 27, 2016 - Screening process (Interviews & review Writing samples) + Interview may be conducted by telephone if necessary.
- October 17, 2016 - Program Start date
- May 25, 2017 - Program completion date & ceremony
For more information on the DLP, please contact DCHR at (202) 442-9700, option 2.