Learning and Development Program
The MSS Suite is an education series to continuously develop and grow managers and supervisors in the DC Government. The program is designed to provide managers with the critical knowledge and skills to effectively manage people, as well as execute the various programs in accordance with District policy, regulations, and industry best practices.
The MSS Suite has three categories:
1. Core Management Learning
2. Continuous Professional Development (electives)
3. District Mandated Learning (as determined by the Mayor or DCHR)
The Core Management Learning consists of five (5) required courses that must be completed within two years of the appointment to an MSS position. MSS employees are strongly encouraged to complete the three (3) courses denoted with an asterisk within the first year of their MSS appointment. In addition, MSS employees must complete any District-mandated training.
After completing the Core Management Learning (five (5) courses) within the first two years, MSS employees are required to complete two electives under the Continuous Professional Development category each fiscal year, as well as any District-mandated courses. The electives are outlined under the Continuous Professional Development category.
If you started taking courses under the prior MSS program you may be able to receive transfer credit for core courses or electives.
In addition, learning and development courses completed outside of this program may be acceptable substitutions for the Continuous Professional Development category only, upon DCHR Center for Learning & Development (CLD) review and evaluation.
DCHR may add courses to the Continuous Professional Development category to expand the learning and development opportunities for MSS. DCHR may update existing courses and/or add new courses to the Core Management Learning, particularly if there has been a significant change in policy, regulations, and/or best practices.
Year 1 - Year 2 Complete Core Management Learning (5 Courses)
Year 3 - Year 4 and beyond... Complete Two (2) Electives Each Fiscal Year
Core Management Learning
- Introduction to Management (course 918) or Principles of Management *(course 919)
- Performance Management (MSS)* (course 905)
- Progressive Discipline* (course 602)
- Building High Performance Team (course 917)
- Leadership Essentials (course 902)
*DCHR recommends completing the first three courses in the Core Management category in the first year of the program.
For FY2016, the following courses will be mandated for MSS employees:
1) Reasonable Suspicion and Drug Free Workplace - Chapter 4 (Course 909/909W)
This course is required only for managers who have not completed this training in the past. Sessions are available online and in a classroom setting. The online version is thirty minutes in duration, and is available in PeopleSoft (course 909W). The instructor-led version (course 909) is approximately two hours in duration.
2) Employee Engagement - (Online via SkillPort) Benefits and Challenges of Engaging Employees (one hour) and Maintaining an Engaging Organization (one hour)
These courses review the unique benefits and challenges of having an engaged workforce while exploring the key attributes and behaviors of engaged employees. As a result, supervisors and managers will be better able to link employee motivation and effective engagement strategies to agency goals. The online courses are available via SkillPort in “My Plan” and are accessible 24 hours, seven days a week.
The deadline for completing MSS required courses will be extended to December 30, 2016. To receive credit for the FY2016 mandatory training, all of the above courses must be completed.
- To register for the Reasonable Suspicion Course, go to PeopleSoft Self Service; then click on Learning and Development > Request Training Enrollment > Search by Course Number. Enter the corresponding course number to register for an instructor-led session (909) or to view online (909W).
- To access the Benefits and Challenges of Engaging Employees and Maintaining an Engaging Organization via SkillPort, go to http://dchr.skillport.com and click on “My Plan.”
For additional assistance, please contact your agency’s Learning & Development Liaison (Training Coordinator) or the Center for Learning & Development at 202-442-9700 or (email@example.com).
MSS employees are also reminded of the Core Management Learning courses in the MSS Suite, an ongoing education and learning series designed to provide you with continuous development and growth.
Continuous Professional Development (Electives)
- Comp & Class Online Training (course 007W)
- Critical Thinking for Supv (course 900)
- District Budget (course 911)
- Sexual Harassment for Managers (course 507)
- Giving and Receiving Feedback (course 520)
- LGBT Cultural Competency (course 517)
- Mid-Year Discussion and PIP (course 915)
- Multigenerational Workplace (course 913)
- PeopleSoft Reports/Query (course 609)
- Powerful Communication (course 502)
- Project Management (course 908)
- Quality Customer Service (course 302)
- Setting Boundaries (course 408)
Course descriptions can be found on Management Supervisory Service Course Descriptions