The DC Department of Human Resources offers a complete online course catalog and a summary of training programs. View the 2015 Course Catalog.
Management Supervisory Service
Learning and Development Program
The MSS Suite is an education series to continuously develop and grow managers and supervisors in the DC Government. The program is designed to provide managers with the critical knowledge and skills to effectively manage people, as well as execute the various programs in accordance with District policy, regulations, and industry best practices.
The MSS Suite has three categories:
1. Core Management Learning
2. Continuous Professional Development (electives)
3. District Mandated Learning (as determined by the Mayor or DCHR)
The Core Management Learning consists of five (5) required courses that must be completed within two years of the appointment to an MSS position. MSS employees are strongly encouraged to complete the three (3) courses denoted with an asterisk within the first year of their MSS appointment. In addition, MSS employees must complete any District-mandated training.
After completing the Core Management Learning (five (5) courses) within the first two years, MSS employees are required to complete two electives under the Continuous Professional Development category each fiscal year, as well as any District-mandated courses. The electives are outlined under the Continuous Professional Development category.
If you started taking courses under the prior MSS program you may be able to receive transfer credit for core courses or electives.
In addition, learning and development courses completed outside of this program may be acceptable substitutions for the Continuous Professional Development category only, upon DCHR Center for Learning & Development (CLD) review and evaluation.
DCHR may add courses to the Continuous Professional Development category to expand the learning and development opportunities for MSS. DCHR may update existing courses and/or add new courses to the Core Management Learning, particularly if there has been a significant change in policy, regulations, and/or best practices.
Year 1 - Year 2 Complete Core Management Learning (5 Courses)
Year 3 - Year 4 and beyond... Complete Two (2) Electives Each Fiscal Year
Core Management Learning
- Introduction to Management (course 918) or Principles of Management *(course 919)
- Performance Management (MSS)* (course 905)
- Progressive Discipline* (course 602)
- Building High Performing Teams (course 917)
- Leadership Essentials (course 902)
*DCHR recommends completing the first three courses in the Core Management category in the first year of the program.
For FY15, the MSS mandatory course is an online series of courses offered through SkillPort. The four courses are titled:
- Managing for Rapid Change and Uncertainty
- Preparing for Organizational Change
- Embracing Organizational Change
- Managing Workplace Stress
Continuous Professional Development (Electives)
- Comp & Class Online Training (course 007W)
- Critical Thinking for Supv (course 900)
- District Budget (course 911)
- Sexual Harassment for Managers (course 507)
- Giving and Receiving Feedback (course 520)
- LGBT Cultural Competency (course 517)
- Mid-Year Discussion and PIP (course 915)
- Multigenerational Workplace (course 913)
- PeopleSoft Reports/Query (course 609)
- Powerful Communication (course 502)
- Project Management (course 908)
- Quality Customer Service (course 302)
- Setting Boundaries (course 408)
Course descriptions can be found on Management Supervisory Service Course Descriptions