Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. It is different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. Excepted Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave.
Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
- Administrative Law Judge: District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH)
- Attorney Advisor: DC Criminal Code Reform Commission (CCRC)
- Attorney Advisor, Medicaid Fraud Control Unit: DC Office of the Inspector General (OIG)
- Deputy Assistant Inspector General for MFCU
- Information Technology Specialist (Systems Administration): Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions
Excepted Service/Specialty Positions
- Administrative Support Specialist, Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs (OPLA)
- Associate Director – Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs (OPLA)
- Executive Director, Workforce Investment Council (WIC)
- Grants Management Assistant, Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs
- Press Assistant, Executive Office of the Mayor