Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. It is different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. Excepted Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave.
Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions:
Excepted Service/Specialty Positions:
- Administrative Law Judge: District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings
- Associate Director of Creative Affairs
- Associate General Counsel - Mayor's Office of General Counsel
- Attorney Advisor: Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining (OLRCB)
- Attorney Advisor: DC Criminal Code Reform Commission (CCRC)
- Attorney, Office of Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
- Community Outreach and Relations Specialist - Mayor's Office on African Affairs
- Deputy Communications Director, Executive Office of the Mayor
- Executive Director - Students in the Care of DC Coordinating Committee
- Information Technology Specialist (Data Management): Sentencing Commission (SCDC)
- General Counsel, Department of Human Resources
- Grants Monitor - Mayor's Office on Latino Affairs
- Mayor's Winter/Spring 2020 LEAD Internship
Senior Management/Policy Positions:
Policy and Program Specialist:
Specialty Positions and Independent Agencies:
- MOTA always seeks talented individuals. While there might not be a current excepted service position of interest, please click this link to be added to our talent pool.