Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. It is different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. Excepted Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave.
Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
- Attorney Advisor, Medicaid Fraud Control Unit: DC Office of the Inspector General (OIG)
- Information Technology Specialist (Systems Administration): Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions
- Director - Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency (HSEMA)
- Director, Office of Disability Rights
- Medical Director - Fire and Emergency Medical Services
Excepted Service/Specialty Positions
- Associate Director – Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs (OPLA)
- Deputy Director, Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs (OPLA)
- Director of Operations, Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizen’s Affairs
- Grants Management Assistant, Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs
- Grants Monitor, Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs
- Language Access Monitor: Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs