Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. It is different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. Excepted Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave.
Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions:
- Chief Administrative Law Judge, Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH)
- Executive Director, Mayor’s Office of African American Affairs (MOAAA)
- State Superintendent of Education
Excepted Service/Specialty Positions:
- Attorney Advisor, Office of Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
- Attorney Advisor (Grade 12), Office of Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
- Attorney, Office of Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
- Deputy Budget Director – Office of Budget and Performance Management
- Social Scientist: Criminal Code Reform Commission
Senior Management/Policy Positions:
Policy and Program Specialist:
Specialty Positions and Independent Agencies: