Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. It is different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. Excepted Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave.
Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
- Attorney Advisor: Office of the General Counsel (OIG)
- General Counsel: District of Columbia Sentencing Commission
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions:
- Director, Department of Employment Services (DOES)
- Executive Director – Commission on the Arts and Humanities (CAH)
Excepted Service/Specialty Positions:
- Community Outreach and Relations Specialist – Mayor’s Office on African Affairs
- Community Outreach Specialist (Bilingual) - MOAPIA
- Deputy Commissioner for Market Operations
- Deputy Mayor for Greater Economic Opportunity
- Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services
- Graphic Artist
- Language Access Monitor – Mayor’s Office on African Affairs
- Public Information Officer – Mayor’s Office on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs (MOAPIA)