Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. It is different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. Excepted Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave.
Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions:
- Executive Director, Mayor’s Office of African American Affairs (MOAAA)
- State Superintendent of Education
Excepted Service/Specialty Positions:
- Administrative Law Judge: District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings
- Chief Information Officer: DC Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
- Deputy Budget Director – Office of Budget and Performance Management - on hold
- Outreach and Services Specialist: District of Columbia Sentencing Commission
Senior Management/Policy Positions:
Policy and Program Specialist:
Specialty Positions and Independent Agencies: