Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. It is different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. Excepted Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave.
Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions:
Excepted Service/Specialty Positions:
- Administrative Law Judge: District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings
- Associate General Counsel – Office of General Counsel
- Attorney Advisor, Office of Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
- Attorney Advisor (Grade 12), Office of Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
- Attorney, Office of Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
- Deputy Secretary of the District of Columbia
- Director of Strategic Initiatives - Deputy Mayor for Education
- General Counsel: District of Columbia Sentencing Commission
- Grants Management Specialist – Serve DC
- Staff Attorney -- Mayor’s Office of Legal Counsel (MOLC)
Senior Management/Policy Positions:
Policy and Program Specialist:
Specialty Positions and Independent Agencies:
- MOTA always seeks talented individuals. While there might not be a current excepted service position of interest, please click this link to be added to our talent pool.