According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the flu season typically starts to ramp up in October and peaks between December and February. The flu shot is your best defense against serious illness this season, and now more than ever, it’s important to stay safe and stop the spread. In partnership with our healthcare vendors, the DC Department of Human Resources will host flu shot clinics for DC Government employees from September 26th to October 12th at eight DC Government sites.
2023 Available Vaccinations
See the listing of available vaccinations that are offered during the 2023 flu season.
- Influenza Standard (under age 65) and Influenza Senior (65 and older) - Influenza vaccines protect against infection by influenza viruses.
Flu Shot Clinic Guidelines
To ensure the best possible experience for yourself and your colleagues, please note the following:
- There are no set appointments. Flu shots will be administered by walk-in only on a first-come, first-served basis during the duration of the clinic; however, we are well-stocked and anticipate no issues.
- Bring your employee ID and medical insurance ID card; flu shots are available only to DC Government employees who are members of Aetna, CareFirst, Kaiser Permanente, and United Healthcare. We regret that we cannot offer flu shots to employees’ families, dependents, and/or contractors; however, we encourage you to reach out to your healthcare provider to inquire about how you can obtain flu shots for your family. Contact information can be found on your insurance card and here.
- Please make sure you wear clothing that is appropriate for receiving a flu shot. To ensure a hassle-free experience, we strongly suggest you wear clothes with sleeves that can be easily pushed back, rolled up, removed, etc. or bring a t-shirt, etc. to change into for your shot. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that privacy screens will be available at each location.
- Please be prepared for a brief wait, especially if you participate during peak break times, i.e. lunchtime. Clinics will be well stocked and staffed, so we do not anticipate significant wait times.
Flu Shot Resources