Department of Human Resources

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

457(b) Plan Automatic Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions

Please see the following answer to frequently asked questions regarding the 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan (457(b) Plan). For further assistance, please contact the DCHR Benefits and Retirement Administration's Retirement Team at [email protected].
When will the 457(b) Automatic Enrollment Program begin?
Effective July 7, 2019.
Who will automatic enrollment affect?
Newly hired employees and rehired employees (with a break in service of three workdays or more) who are eligible to participate in the 457(b) Plan will be automatically enrolled as participants. Current employees will not be automatically enrolled.
Who is considered eligible to participate?
The following employees are eligible to participate in the 457(b) Plan:
  • Full-time, permanent employees
  • Part-time, permanent employees who generally work at least 30 hours per week
  • Employees with temporary full-time appointments of at least 13 months
When will employees be automatically enrolled?
Eligible employees will be automatically enrolled into the 457(b) Plan as of their date of hire.
What are some important time frames?
30 days (30-day window or permissible withdrawal period) the amount of time a new or rehired employee has to stop a deferral AND still withdraw any automatic enrollment contributions. The 30 days begin when you receive written notice on the 457(b) Automatic Enrollment Program. At any time within the 30 days, if the employee makes an elective choice for their 457(b) Plan account, the permissible withdrawal period ends.
How much will employees contribute?
You will automatically have 5 percent of your annual base salary contributed to the Plan as pre-tax contributions each pay period. Employees can elect to defer a different amount (including $0.00) or a different percentage amount of your base salary or cease participation in the plan at any time.
Why is my contribution a percentage of pay and not a flat amount?
Percentage-based contributions allow deferral amounts to grow as an employee's salary increases over time. This ensures that an employee's savings rate is growing with his or her income.
What is the default investment?
By default, employees will be invested in a Target Date Fund based on their date of birth.
Are there other investment options available?
You control how your account is invested. Your plan includes a wide range of options, from more conservative, stable-value funds to more aggressive bond and stock funds. You may choose to build a diversified portfolio of various funds or select a simple yet diversified age-based retirement fund that is geared toward your projected retirement date. To learn more, visit https://www.icmarc.org/dc/investing/dc-employee-funds.html.
How do employees opt-out of the program?
If you wish not to participate in the 457(b) Plan, you may opt out within the first 30 days of employment. To opt out of automatic enrollment, please access PeopleSoft at http://ess.dc.gov and set your contribution deferral rate to zero.
How can you request a refund?
If you elect to opt out of the automatic enrollment within the first 30 days of your employment, you can request a refund of any contributions made to your account within that period. If you do not opt out within the first 30 days of your employment, you cannot receive a refund. To request a refund of contributions please contact DCHR at [email protected] or call at (202) 442-7627. You may also contact ICMA-RC at 1 (800) 669-7400.
How do I learn more about my plan?
Education Sessions. We encourage you to contact your local Retirement Plans Specialist to register for an education session. ICMA-RC representatives are available to answer your questions and provide more information about the fund line-up and the retirement planning services available to you through the 457(b) Plan.
How do I access my account at ICMA-RC?
Log in and access your account by following these steps:
  1. Go to www.DCRetire.com
  2. Click Set Up Your Online Access
  3. Enter your personal information, read and agree to the terms and conditions then click Next
  4. Create your user ID and password, answer three security questions and click Submit
When can I call Investor Services with questions about my account?
You may contact an ICMA-RC Investor Services Representative at 1.800.669.7400 (press zero to speak with a representative). Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET.
Where are the service centers located?
You can visit the service centers to meet in person with a plan representative to enroll in your retirement plan, learn more about your plan and ask questions, and plan for your retirement.
1015 Half Street SE, 9th Floor Washington DC 20003
777 North Capitol St NE, 8th Floor Washington DC 20002


Who can I contact if I have questions?
DCHR Benefits and Retirement Administration