DC Government employees are eligible for a $25 annual Capital Bikeshare membership (regularly $85). Discounted membership includes an unlimited number of 30-minute rides. There are never any usage fees for the first 30 minutes of any trip on a Capital Bikeshare bike. Trips lasting longer than 30 minutes will incur usage fees. Learn more about Capital Bikeshare pricing and usage fees.
About Capital Bikeshare
Capital Bikeshare puts thousands of bikes at your fingertips, with hundreds of stations throughout the District, Arlington, Alexandria, and Montgomery County. Whether you ride for work or for play, Capital Bikeshare gives you a new, healthy and environmentally friendly transportation option!
How do I sign up?
- Use the DC Government discount code: DCGOVBIKES
- New User Instructions external [PDF]
- Renewal Instructions external [PDF]
How can Capital Bikeshare help me?
Get exercise while you commute to work or travel around town
Save money on transit fares, parking and other transportation expenses
Expand your lunch options with quicker access than walking
Get there faster with dedicated bike lanes and conveniently placed stations
Connect to transit for quick first-mile or last-mile access
Take advantage of built-in lights, secure docks, a front basket and more features
How does Capital Bikeshare work?
- Capital Bikeshare is a bike-sharing system that gives you access to a fleet of bikes, 24 hours a day.
- Click here to view a 2-minute video explaining how Capital Bikeshare works.
- The first 30 minutes of the ride are always free; usage fees are incurred on individual trips over 30 minutes. Your annual membership includes an unlimited number of trips.
- Use your key at any bike dock. When the green light appears, firmly pull the handlebars toward you to release the bike.
- Return the bike to any station. Push the front wheel firmly into an empty dock, and wait for the green light.
- Download the free SpotCycle app to find available bikes/stations.
- If you’d like to hone your bicycling skills, sign up for a Learn to Ride or City Cycling class with the Washington Area Bicyclist Association.