The District of Columbia Government’s Department of Human Resources (DCHR) is once again proud to announce its District Leadership Program (DLP). The DLP is an internship program designed to provide tomorrow’s leaders with the knowledge, tools, skills, and experiences that can be readily applied to their future challenges and pursuits, whether personal or professional. The DLP internship has two cycles: Summer 12 weeks (June - August) and Year Round (October - May) (Part Time); 3 (8/hour) days per week )
Our program takes a holistic approach to developing Interns by providing a wide range of stimulating and developmental activities including:
- Substantive assignments in an unlimited array of functional areas related to government operations (i.e., Human Capital Management, Finance and Budgeting, Information Technology, Legal, Contracting and Procurement, Small and Local Business Development, Legislative Affairs, Health and Human Services, Education, and Performance Management)
- A customized Individual Development Planning Learning Lab and Tool Suite
- Classroom lectures and coursework on topics centered around core business services as well as other specialty topics
- Web-based training and development courses
- A series of Profiles in Leadership brown bag luncheons
- 360⁰ performance feedback for each intern
- Guest lecturers focusing on topics such as Customer Service, Priorities for the District of Columbia, and Leadership Development
- Undergraduate (Junior or Senior year) and graduate students currently enrolled, who are in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5 at a U.S. college or university. This must be supported by a transcript and an official letter from school administration. It cannot be a letter from a professor.
- Students must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are;
- Residents of the District of Columbia, and
- Graduates of a District of Columbia High School.
- You MUST complete the application in one session. You cannot save an incomplete application.
- Unofficial transcript dated no longer than 3 months. And old transcript from previous semester will not be accepted.
- Official letter from school administration to support your unofficial transcript, verify GPA, and current academic status. In reference to school administration, we will consider a dean, department chair, advisor, etc. It CANNOT be a professor.
- Professional resume
Three well written essays of 300 to 400 words each. You should use font 11 or 12 single space. They must be saved as a Word document. Your essays will be evaluated for logic, judgment, thought process, grammar, clarity of argument, and organization The application will be deemed incomplete if any field is empty and or not fully answered. The application will also be deemed incomplete and not acceptable if any of the four attachments are missing. Use word counter in Microsoft Office word. All three essays should be saved in one document.
- What have influenced you academically, socially, and personally thus far?
- The District Leadership Program is a very competitive and highly regarded internship experience. Why should we select you for this amazing opportunity?
- Early in her administration, Mayor Bowser refers to the following as a focus:
*Economic Opportunity and a Path to the Middle Class for all;
*Increase Security & Safety in all corners of the district for all residents;
*Strong Education System to equip young people for a bright future;
*Healthier DC and provide access to quality health care for all; and
*Sustainable Healthy Environment and a Strong Infrastructure.
Which one of them is most closely aligned to your passion or interest? And why?
For more information on the DLP, please contact DCHR at (202) 442-9700, option 2.