The District of Columbia Government’s Department of Human Resources (DCHR) is once again proud to announce its District Leadership Program (DLP). The DLP is an internship program designed to provide tomorrow’s leaders with the knowledge, tools, skills, and experiences that can be readily applied to their future challenges and pursuits, whether personal or professional. The DLP internship has two cycles: Summer 12 weeks (June - August) and Year Round (October - May) (Part Time); 3 (8/hour) days per week )
Deadline to submit application has ended.
Our program takes a holistic approach to developing Interns by providing a wide range of stimulating and developmental activities including:
- Substantive assignments in an unlimited array of functional areas related to government operations (i.e., Human Capital Management, Finance and Budgeting, Information Technology, Legal, Contracting and Procurement, Small and Local Business Development, Legislative Affairs, Health and Human Services, Education, and Performance Management)
- A customized Individual Development Planning Learning Lab and Tool Suite
- Classroom lectures and coursework on topics centered around core business services as well as other specialty topics
- Web-based training and development courses
- A series of Profiles in Leadership brown bag luncheons
- 360⁰ performance feedback for each intern
- Guest lecturers focusing on topics such as Customer Service, Priorities for the District of Columbia, and Leadership Development
- Undergraduate (Junior or Senior year) and graduate students currently enrolled, who are in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5 at a U.S. college or university. This must be supported by a transcript and an official letter from school administration. It cannot be a letter from a professor.
- Students must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are;
- Residents of the District of Columbia, and
- Graduates of a District of Columbia High School.
Each applicant must submit the information below to be considered for the DLP>
- Unofficial transcript dated no longer than 3 months. And old transcript from previous semester will not be accepted.
- Official letter from school administration to support your unofficial transcript, verify GPA, and current academic status. In reference to school administration, we will consider a dean, department chair, advisor, etc. It CANNOT be a professor.
- Professional resume
- Three required essays, described in detail below.
You MUST complete the application in one session. You cannot save an incomplete application.
Three well written essays of 350 to 400 words each (use word counter in Microsoft Office to confirm the number of words). You should use font 11 or 12 single space. They must be saved as a Word document. Your essays will be evaluated for logic, judgment, thought process, grammar, clarity of argument, and organization. The application will be deemed incomplete if any field is empty and or not fully answered. The application will also be deemed incomplete and not acceptable if any of the four attachments are missing.
All three essays should be saved in one document.
- Discuss a non-academic personal failure. What did you learn from the experience?
- What do you consider to be the most impactful societal problem? Why?
- After researching the District of Columbia Government and its agencies, share specific skills, knowledge, and classes you have taken and or experience that you make you a qualified and successful District Leadership Program intern.
For more information on the DLP, please contact DCHR at (202) 442-9700, option 2.