The District of Columbia Government’s Department of Human Resources is proud to offer its District Leadership Program (DLP). The DLP is an internship program designed to provide tomorrow’s leaders with the knowledge, tools, skills, and experiences that can be readily applied to their future challenges and pursuits, whether personal or professional.
The academic year program or Year-Round FY22 will operate from October 12th thru May 27th. It is a 24-hour per week internship experience.
The program takes a holistic approach to developing Interns by providing a wide range of stimulating and developmental activities including:
- Substantive assignments in an unlimited array of functional areas related to government operations (i.e., Human Capital Management, Finance and Budgeting, Information Technology, Legal, Contracting and Procurement, Small and Local Business and Economic Development, Legislative Affairs, Health and Human Services, Education, and Performance Management);
- A customized Individual Development Planning Learning Lab and Tool;
- Classroom lectures and coursework on topics centered around core business services as well as other topics;
- Web-based training and development courses;
- A series of Profiles in Leadership brown bag seminars and presentations;
- 360⁰ performance feedback for each intern; and
- Guest lecturers focusing on topics such as Customer Service, Priorities for the District of Columbia, and Leadership Development
A number of District of Columbia Government agencies have invested in supporting the program and committed to champion the professional and personal development of the selected applicants. These agencies include Office of Human Rights, Office of Planning inclusive of its Historic Preservation Office, Child & Family Services Agency, Department of Human Services, Department of Health, District Department on the Environment, District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department, Health Benefit Exchange, District Department of Transportation, District Department of Human resources; Office of the Secretary, Executive Office of the Mayor, Board of Ethics, Office of Labor Relation and Collective Bargaining; and more!
Eligibility Requirements & Information
Undergraduate (junior or senior year)
Graduate students currently enrolled
- Good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5 in an accredited U.S. college or university
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Applicants will be evaluated by the following:
- Three (3) well written essays
- A panel interview
Preference will be given to applicants who are residents of the District of Columbia and graduates of a District of Columbia high school.
For more information on the DLP, please contact DCHR at (202) 442-9700, option 2.