The District offers all benefit-eligible employees two pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA) benefits: the Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA) and the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA). These accounts allow you to pay for eligible, out-of-pocket health and/or dependent care expenses. You must designate the amount to be set aside in your FSAs every plan year. Benefit Resource, Inc. administers these accounts. BRi plans are reimbursed on a daily basis, which means claims that are received and processed will be released for payment on the next business day. Please see below for other important information regarding claims. BRI offers:
- Beniversal Prepaid MasterCard: BRi's Beniversal card is a single card that can be used for transit, parking, and health care flexible spending accounts. The Beniversal Card operates nationwide with approved vendors that accept Debit MasterCard. This card is accepted at all WMATA terminal kiosks for SmartTrip card purchases and transactions. You will not need to place pre-orders for transit passes in advance.
- Online Claim Submission via BRiWeb: Participants can submit a claim, along with the required documentation. A history of submitted claims is available online for review.
- BRiMobile Claim Submission: The BRiMobile app allows participants to submit a claim, take a picture of receipts or upload a receipt from a file.
Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts
Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts (HCFSA) allow you to plan for and cover eligible out-of-pocket medical expenses on a pre-tax basis with deductions taken directly from your base salary. Deductions for the HCSFA reduce the gross income on your Form W-2 for federal and social security tax purposes. Your deductions are put into a special account, which will be used to reimburse participants for covered expenses up to a maximum of $2,700 in 2019. All receipts for expenses must be submitted by March 31. You may elect to participate in this program and/or select a new deduction amount during the next Open Enrollment period.
Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (DCFSA) allow you to pay for eligible dependent care expenses on a pre-tax basis with deductions taken directly from your base salary. These deductions reduce your gross income on your Form W-2 for federal and social security tax purposes. The deductions are put into a special account, which will be used to reimburse participants for covered expenses up to a maximum of $5,000 annually. All receipts for expenses must be submitted by March 31. You may elect to participate in this program and/or select a new deduction amount during the next Open Enrollment period.
Changing your DCFSA election amount during the plan year is not permitted unless a qualified life event change occurs (e.g., marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or dependent, birth or adoption of a child) or there is a change in dependent day care provider costs or enrollment status.
Important Claim Information
- Participants have three options for submitting claims: (1) online through the Participant Login, (2) through the BRiMobile app or by (3) submitting a manual claim form.
- Participants can receive their reimbursements by direct deposit or check. Participants who sign up for direct deposit receive their funds an average of 2 to 4 days faster than those reimbursements sent by check. Participants can sign up through the Participant Login or by completing the Direct Deposit Form.
- BRi FSA Welcome Letter & Account Login Information
- Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts FAQs
- FSA Welcome Letter & Account Login Instructions
- BRi FSA Plan Highlights